Thursday, September 22, 2011

Orange and Balsamic Glazed Beets


So I wasn't sure what the end result was going to be with these.  I love love pickled beets, but those have a really strong pickled taste and the earthy beet flavor is pretty well hidden.  I also knew that the few times at salad bars when you think you're grabbing pickled beets and they are actually just plain, that I didn't like them, so I took a shot.  And, perfect success.  Kam loved them and I loved them.  The orange and vinegar was a tasty glaze that complemented the earthy beet.

What you'll need:
4 - 5 smallish beets
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
pepper
zest and juice of one orange
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar

Preheat oven 400. Cut both ends off each beet.  Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Wrap each beet in tin foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on size.  Once fork tender, remove foil and allow to cool enough to handle.  Remove skins, they slide off easy with a little pressure, and turn your fingers a nice shade of pink! Slice into bite sized pieces.

When you remove beets from then oven, begin glaze.  In a medium pot add orange juice and zest, sugar and vinegar.  Bring to a boil.  Turn heat down to medium low and reduce to a syrup, about 6 or 7  minutes.  Add beets into the glaze and toss.  Allow beets to heat back up before serving.

One of my new knife finger slicer weapons.  (I got the set of 5 from Costco for about $20 and they are awesome!)


My new zester that someone gave us for a wedding gift.  Unfortunately, there was no card with this particular gift so we have no idea who it is from.  Whoever you are you must know about my cooking hobby, thank you and I love it!




Sweet, tart, earthy.  Best part, they make your pee turn reddish.  Next time I think I will try crystalized ginger instead of orange. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who left a mystery gift, even if mine was an accident. Love you and glad to have you back blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Labels