Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vegetable Fritters


I am in love with these veggie cakes.  The spices and the lightly crisp vegetables make this such a good side dish.  I think I could just eat these for a meal and be perfectly happy.  I made these a few months ago with the intention of sharing the recipe, but I was missing one ingredient that I knew would make them A+.  So when I made them, they didn't come out quite like I wanted them too.  So yesterday I grabbed my missing ingredient....perfecto!

What you'll need:
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cup diced onion
1 cup chopped broccoli
2 cups shredded carrot (bigger shreds the better.  I have one of those giant hole shredders.  Maybe even julienne instead of a shredder.)
2 cups thin sliced cabbage
2 eggs
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander
3 cloves garlic minced
1 sleeve saltine crackers crushed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup water divided
1/2 cup flour
Oil for frying

Add vegetables, spices, cilantro and soy sauce to a large bowl.  Add Crush crackers and 1/2 cup water.  Mix flour and other 1/2 cup water until no longer lumpy.  Add eggs and flour paste.  Mix until everything is well combined and vegetables are coated and kind of pasty.

Heat about 2 tablespoons oil over medium high.  Use a half cup measuring cup as a scoop and drop into oil.  Press the fritter down to form more of a patty.  Let fry until very golden browned.  If you flip too early it will fall apart.  Once browned, flip, but do gently.  Fry other side. You may have to add a little more oil at some point.










I was barbecuing flank steak at the same time so I fried the fritteres out on the bbq burner.  It was nice because it didn't make our little apartment smell.  Once they were done I kept them warm by placing them onto a piece of foil I placed over the top rack in the bbq.

You could make a sort of tzatziki sauce to go with them, we just ate them as is.  Next up, the other half of this meal...flank steak!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels