Saturday, June 4, 2011

Avocado Ice Cream


So weird, I know.  Here's the back story on this one.  Way back when we worked at Roche Harbor, during the summer months about 80% of the employees were there on working visas.  We would go from about 50 local employees in the 3 other seasons to about 250 employees in a mater of weeks for summer.  So we met a lot of people from around the world.  One summer, I spent a lot of time with a few Brazilians.  One of my Brazilian buddies made friends some someone who worked at the ice cream stand.  One evening he shows up with a green milk shake.  Come to find out it's an avocado milk shake and he is in heaven. Huh and weird I thought.  Apparently, avocado treats are really popular in that part of the world.  So lately I have noticed recipes for avocado deserts, quite a few being just fresh avocado drizzled with honey.  It was time, I had try it.

What you'll need:
3 Avocados (not too overly ripe, no brown)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

Slice avocado, remove the pit, and scoop out flesh.  Place everything in a food processor and pulse until well combined and smooth.  My food processor is tiny so I had to pulse the avocado in stages.  Then I used the hand mixer to blend everything.  You could use a blender too.  What ever you have will work.

 Freeze in your ice cream maker.  That simple.









So my thoughts.  It was good, but definitely not going to be on my top five.  When you first taste it, it seems a little awkward.  But once your pallet adjusts to it, its actually really good.  That avocado creamy flavor that we all love really comes out.  It's actually really rich, which surprised me.  I could even finish my little bowl.  I also made a chocolate honey sauce to go on top.  I just felt that the plain avocado might need some sort of contrasting taste.  The chocolate honey sauce was amazing!

What you'll need:
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place chocolate chips in a bowl, set aside.  In a small sauce pan, heat cream and honey over medium heat, stirring until combined.  Once cream is just about to boil, add vanilla and pour over chocolate.  Let sit for 2 minutes for chocolate to melt. Whisk until combined.  Store in fridge.






I found ketchup and mustard bottles for $.99 so bought them.  Didn't know when exactly they would come on handy, but they eventually did!



I cut the top off a strawberry and filled the inside cavity with this stuff.  I didn't regret that decision. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels