Friday, April 29, 2011

Too much left over Corned Beef?



Make a pot pie!  I did, and it was yummy...even on the 3rd night I made Kam eat it! I was lazy and used store bought pie crust, it happens.  I actually don't have a rolling pin, which now that I'm thinking back to last time my mom and I went antiquing and she tried to convince me to buy a vintage rolling pin, I should have taken her advice.  Store bought it is!  This was actually my first pot pie, and I made one error in judgement, which I will correct in the recipe below, but it turned out very, lets say, comforting!  I made sure to serve it with a pile of salad and steamed veggies!

What you'll need:

about 2 cups cooked chunked corn beef
2 carrots diced
2 yukon potatoes diced (about a cup and a half)
1 cup onion diced
5 mushrooms sliced
3 cups chopped cabbage
1 egg white
1 packet mushroom gravy, made to package instructions (I only used 1/2 a packet, thats where I went wrong! Needed just a little extra juice)
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 store bought pie crust (if your lazy like me, or make your own)

Pre-heat oven to 375. You'll need 2 frying pans.  In a larger one add 2 tablespoons oil and heat over medium high.  Add onion, potato, and carrot and spread into an even layer.  Let sit for about 4 minutes.  In the other pan, add remaining oil, heat over medium and add cabbage, salt and pepper.  Once your onions and potatoes begin to brown, add meat, spread evenly again, and let sit for a few more minutes.  Continue to fry each pan until cabbage has cooked down about half way (about 6 to 8 minutes) add mushrooms.  Fry each pan for another 5 minutes, turning every minute or so until everything is cooked and nice and brown. Add cabbage mixture to potato/meat.  Mix until well combined.  Make gravy according to package.  Lay one pie crust into pie plate.  Add meat/cabbage into pie crust.  Pour gravy over meat/cabbage.  Lay 2nd pie crust over top and fold excess top layer back and press the two dough layers with fingers around the edge to form the crust.  Brush top with egg white.  Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.  You may want to check a few minutes before timer to make sure its not getting too brown, my oven is a little weird.












If you want to be a rebel, serve with mashed potatoes or something starchy and delicious.  The pie was enough heavenly guilt food for me.  I loved it as much the 3rd night as the 1st. And I still have another chunk of corned beef left.  I froze it.  That meat is so salty and delicious, a little goes a long way.  The piece I cooked up wasn't that large either, you can really stretch it!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels