Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chili Rellenos


Ok, yes I know that there are two ways to make Chili Rellenos.  Well three I suppose.  And I have done 2 of the three.  I don't really like the dipped and fried version, so I have never made those.  But I have roasted my own peppers, peeled the skins, stuffed, egged and baked.  And let me be the first to tell you, store bought peppers cut open and lay flat like lasagna noodles tastes just as wonderful, and is 3/4 less work!  If you really really care about presentation, maybe don't use this recipe, but if all you're looking for is a yummy dinner, then go for it.  It's all in the type of cheese you use anyway!

What you'll need:

1 28oz can whole green chilies (It might be a 26 or 30 oz can.  Its the Large one.  I threw the label away and I'm not going to go digging in my garbage full of egg shells to find out for sure.  I will update next time I buy one.)
1 1/2 cup Cotija mexican cheese crumbled (Must have!! It's with all the round wheels of mexican cheese at any grocery store)
1 cup cheddar or mexican style cheese shredded
12 eggs
1 teaspoon flour + 1 tablespoon water
A few shakes hot sauce (optional, I used Green Tabasco)
Tin foil

Preheat over to 350. Spray or grease a 9x13 baking dish.  Open and drain liquid from chilies.  Slide your kitchen scissors or a sharp knife up one side of a chili along the fold or crease keeping the two halves intact.  There will be some seeds still in the pepper, just rinse off.  Lay pepper in dish.  Continue until bottom of dish is covered in peppers.  Should be about half of the can. Sprinkle evenly with cheeses.  Lay another layer of peppers over top of cheese.  You may have one or two peppers left over, lay them in the gaps, or throw them away.  Crack eggs into a bowl.  Add hot sauce.  Mix your flour with water so its a thick liquid, no clumps.  Add too eggs.  Whisk eggs until well scrambled.  Pour over peppers.  Cover with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 5-10 or until egg is cooked in the center.  Cut into squares and serve with mexican rice or whatever you'd like.  Here is my recipe for mexican rice if your interested.














This dish, like I said, isn't fancy, but its yummy.  And sometimes thats all that matters.  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels