Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Taco Turkey Burgers & Black Bean Vinaigrette Salad


There are a number of things that I used to cook long before I started this blog.  Long before.  Yummy dishes that we made a bunch of times then forgot about.  These taco turkey burgers came back to me the other day.  Way back when (when we were living in Friday Harbor, around 2006) we made these burgers all the time...then just forget about them.  I used to just plain old taco seasoning, this time I opted to make my own.  You could totally grab a packet of taco seasoning and skip most of the spice ingredients I have listed.  Either way, these are really good, full flavor, and best of all, quick and easy!  I think I'm going to try and go deep into my brain and try and remember the archives of foods I used to cook.  Then revamp them...

What you'll need:

For the burgers
1 pound ground turkey (I used the extra lean)
1 egg
3/4 cup feta
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 can black beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 a lime juice

Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix until evenly combined.  Split into 4 or 5 burgers, and make patties.  Heat up grill over medium high.  Grill on each side for 5 minutes or until no long pink in the middle.  Serve with our without bun.  You can add whatever toppings you'd like, but we just left ours plain with a little mayo on the bun.  I did remove the center of my bun so it was hollow and just the crust left.  Easier to bite through and less calories/carbs.

For the salad:
1/2 can black beans
1 avocado
1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon green tabasco (optional)
1/2 a lime juice
1/2 head romaine chopped

Add vinegar, honey, tabasco and lime into a small bowl and mix until honey has dissolved into lime and vinegar.  Add in beans, avocado and tomatoes and toss to coat.  Evenly distribute onto a bed of lettuce.  The liquid will serve as your dressing.  You could also add lettuce into the bowl and toss everything together to be sure lettuce gets well coated.
















Great dinner.  Fairly healthy.  Really filling.  I love the flavor of the corn chips and the spices mixed into the meat.  I wasn't sure what I was making when I created the salad, but it turned out pretty good.  Sweet, sour and spicy.  The creamy avocado and sweet tomatoes worked really well with the vinaigrette.  Good stuff.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels