Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cucumber Shrimp Salad



So looking back on my more recent posts, apparently I am in salad mode.  They are all salads.  Hey, its summer right?  I was in the mood for something light and refreshing, and we bought a 3 pack of cucumbers from Costco the other day so I thought a cucumber salad would do just the trick.  Add some shrimp and a nice lime and cilantro dressing, and I was on my way to salad bliss.  


Kam, Dex and I went for a family jog last night.  It was really nice.  I have taken a few weeks off from jogging because of my mysterious back injury.  But things are looking up.  I know Dex was stoked to be running free in a large field.  And bonus, just when we finished our jog and he was super tuckered out, the sprinklers kicked on and he got a nice cool off by heading face first into the sprinkler jet.  Planning on going again tonight after it cools off outside.


What you'll need:
1 pound shrimp
1 english cucumber halved and sliced thin
1 avocado sliced
1/2 red pepper sliced thin
2-3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
1/4 cup green onion chopped
1 cup carrot grated or Julienned


Dressing:
Juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon cumin


2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1-3 teaspoons green tabasco (Use 3 if you like it spicy, or skip this ingredient if you don't)
1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon soy sauce


Add all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and mix until honey is dissolved.  Set aside.  Cook shrimp (if not precooked).  Bring a pot of water to a boil and dump in shrimp shells and tails on. About the time the water returns to a boil, shrimp will be done.  Pour into a colander and run under cold water until cooled.  Remove shells and tails.  Add all salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss with dressing.  Serve immediately. 







Pretty simple, but oh so good.  I have to admit, I had two bowls. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels