Friday, May 20, 2011

Thai Cabbage Wraps



So the whole time I'm making this, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to add a little more sauce than just the marinade.  I didn't think there was anyway that the little bit of sauce that you mix through out the ground beef would ever be enough to give it a good flavor kick.  But, man was I wrong.  I cooked the beef through, then decided to give er a taste to see what else it was going to need.  Bwamo!!  Full flavor in my mouth!  I'm in love with this recipe.


What you'll need:


1 package ground beef (around a pound.  I used the super lean stuff)
1 head green cabbage
1 red bell pepper sliced
1/2 red onion sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil


For the marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
1/2 of a lime juiced or about 1 tablespoon 
1 jalapeno  chopped
2 cloves garlic minced


Mix everything together for the marinade and add ground beef.  Using your hands, mix the marinade and the beef together until it is well combined.  Refrigerate for AT LEAST one hour, 2+ is better.


Cook beef.  Do not drain excess liquid, keep cooking until liquid has just about reduced out.  While beef is cooking, add olive oil, brown sugar and purple onions to a small pan and saute over medium low heat until onions are very soft.   When liquid in beef is almost gone, add caramelized onions and bell pepper to pan.  Cook for about another 10 minutes or until peppers are soft.  


By the base of the cabbage head, cut leaves, one or two at a time at the thickest part where they attach to the core.  Gently remove the leaves peeling them fro the base to the top.  


Spoon beef mixture into cabbage leaves. 

















After my surprise of how tasty this was, even without a lot of excess sauce, now I'm thinking of what else you could do with this tasty beef.  I'm thinking burgers with grilled pineapple.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels