Monday, May 2, 2011

Bring'n out the bacon~


I don't cook with bacon very often, but I always have some high quality thick cut in the freezer for when I get the urge.  It turned into Saturday morning breakfast bowls and Sunday potato salad.  I was so happy that it was a sunny and beautiful May 1st that potato salad and bbq'd steaks were the best way to celebrate.

I got these bowls the other day with the handles on them, they kinda look like giant coffee cups.  When I made the pot pie I noticed on the bottom that they were oven safe, JACK POT!  So I couldn't wait to try my hand at baking something in them.  Saturday morning breakfast bowls it is!

What you'll need: (for 2 bowls)

1 medium russet potato diced
1 green pepper chopped
1/2 or 1 cup onion chopped
3 or 4 slices bacon (precooked)
4 mushrooms sliced
teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper
eggs
shredded cheese (about a cup or so)
toast

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Cook bacon, set aside.  Drain fat but leave about a tablespoon in the bottom of pan.  Add potatoes, onions, salt and pepper to pan and cook over medium high until potatoes are brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.  Add green pepper and mushrooms.  Cook for another 5 minutes or until peppers are soft.

Add as much potato mixture into the bottom of your bowl and you'd like, just make sure you leave an inch on the top for eggs.  Add a layer of large bacon pieces over potatoes.  Crack desired number of eggs over bacon.  Place in oven for 15-20 minutes or until whites just about set.  Sprinkle cheese and put back in oven until cheese is melted, eggs should be set by then.  Serve with toast.

If you don't have oven safe bowls, add your bacon to the potatoes and create holes into the potatoes where you can crack the eggs.  Cook the same way as above, if your frying pans are oven safe.  If not, crack eggs like I mentioned before and reduce heat to low and cover.  Eggs should still set.









Kam got a double yoke, score!  It was actually the first time I've cracked a two yoke egg.


My breakfast was a little smaller.

Garnished with toast and bacon!  What could be better than that?



Simple breakfast.  I am going to love my new oven safe bowls, or should I say Kam is going to love my new bowls. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels