Monday, May 16, 2011

Creamy Cauliflower Soup


I think I might have gotten an A+ from Kam on this one, but I could have told you that before I started.  Bacon & cream cheese are the two main flavor contributors for this soup.  I don't really have much to say, it kind of speaks for itself.

What you'll need:
1/2 pound bacon cut into pieces (I used a prepackaged kind, which is a little more than half a pound, so I threw some of the fat away)
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium/largish head cauliflower
1 package cream cheese (I used 1/3 fat)
1/2 cup milk (any kind, I used whole because thats what I have from making ice cream, but even skim would do)
2 cups chicken stock (I didn't have any so I used 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon dissolved in 2 cups warm water)
1/4 cup chopped green onion plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Cook chopped bacon in your soup pot until crispy.  Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Drain fat leaving about 2 tablespoons and all the bits in the pot.  Cook onions for about 10 minutes on medium heat or until the are very soft and a brownish color.  Add chicken stock and cauliflower.  Bring to a boil then reduce and cover.  Allow cauliflower for cook for about 15 minutes, it will be fairly broke down and very soft.  At this point, it is your choice how you want to mash the cauliflower.  Add your cream cheese and mash.  You can use a potato masher, immersion blender, regular blender, hand mixer, whatever.  Just be sure to really break down all the large chunks.  Add milk, bacon, green onions and pepper.  Reserve a little bacon.  Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and serve.  Garnish with a tablespoon cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions.  You will have about 4 bowls of soup.

















Be prepared to love yourself.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels