Saturday, October 15, 2011

Kielbasa Dump Soup



I have two things to say before I get to the recipe.  First.  I'm really happy that it's fall.  I had a wonderful and crazy busy summer and seeing the fall leaves and feeling the cool air has been so refreshing.  A really great and much needed change of pace.  Not saying that I didn't have an AMAZING summer that I will never forget and always remember fondly, but living in Spokane with no AC, it's always nice when fall finally rolls around.  Second. With fall comes less day light, with less day light comes cooking in low light situations.  With low light situations comes crappy looking food photos.  Get my drift.  I'm thinking of buying lights so my process and food pictures don't look fake and weird because of too much yellow or green light.  My only reservation on getting lights is my apartment is small and all I need is one (or two) more things cluttering up my space.  If you see a picture that is blurry or weird, please bare with me, believe me, it pains me more than you.  Now, on to...  


Kielbasa Dump Soup
What you'll need:
1/2 onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced celery including the heart and leaves from the center (tons of flavor in the center leaves)
1 cup diced red pepper
1 1/2 cups yukon gold potato cut into bite size pieces
1 1/2 cups sweet potato cut into bite size pieces
1 1/2 cups cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
1 kielbasa cut into bite size pieces
1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 jalapeno thinly sliced (OPTIONAL, if you don't like too much spice, skip it)
1 can diced tomato
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup barley
2 cups spicyV8
8 cups chicken broth or  8 cups warm water mixed with 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons ground oregano
3 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chill powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire
1 teaspoon turmeric

In your large soup pot, add oil, onion, carrot and celery and saute for about 3 minutes. While that is cooking, peel sweet potato.  Now, add everything else and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low and simmer until barley is done.  About an hour.  Eat.


This is the other mystery gift from my wedding that came with the awesome green zester.  Whoever gave me these gifts, knew their way around good kitchen gadgets. Best peeler I've ever had.  Thank you again who ever you are!



Just before I added all the liquid.


So, pretty basic instructions, I know.  This soup is something really close to one of my favorite soups my mom made once or twice a winter for as long as I can remember.  The fact that I called it dump soup is a tribute to her.  The only thing that I left out of the original recipe is about a half a head of sliced cabbage.  Kam doesn't like it.  Boo.  I made it his way this time. So if you looking for a tasty fall warm up, give this beauty a try.  I know we will be having it at least once more before the cool weather travels on again.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels