Friday, January 21, 2011

Gumbo

I made gumbo, and it tasted so good!  The entire time I was making it, I was thinking that it wasn't going to turn out very and was really skeptical how these few ingredients were going to make something as delicious as everyone says, but WOW, was I wrong. We loved it!  I didn't make the traditional, hours long stewing Southern gumbo, but this quicker version start to finish took me about an hour and it was really yummy. So here it is....

What you'll need:

1 green pepper chopped
1 small onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 cup flour
1 can diced tomatoes

1 lb bulk sausage or kielbasa cut into bite size pieces
1 lb cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces

8 cups chicken broth (I took tomato chicken bouillon that you can find in the spanish cooking isle at any grocery store to make my stock.  I think it gave the Gumbo broth a little extra something)
1/2 cup dry white wine

1 teaspoon cayenne (more or less depending on taste)
few shakes of your favorite hot sauce
4 bay leaves

Your favorite rice, cooked.  (We like pearl)


First brown your sausage, removed from pan and set aside leaving grease in pan, and cook your chicken using the sausage drippings.  Remove your chicken and cube or shred and put aside with your sausage.  Used the remaining of the drippings to saute pepper and onion until onion is tender and translucent. Add garlic and continue to cook until garlic is nice and fragrant.  Next, turn head way down and slowly sprinkle in flour and blend into the peppers and onions until they are fully coated and kind of pasty looking.  Add your wine and tomatoes and combine.  You will have something that looks like this.



Now pour in your stock, add bay leaves cayenne and hot sauce.  Bring to a boil stirring fairly consistently.  You should see you soup start to to thicken.  Once boiling for a few minutes, turn down and add your meats.  Let simmer for about 15 minutes.  Serve over rice.



We really enjoyed this, especially the leftovers.  If I were to make it again I would probably stick to this same recipe only adding shrimp to the pot as well as the other meats.  Maybe okra too!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels